Saturday, October 31, 2009

Poinsettia Toxicity Myth

Poinsettia Toxicity Myth
The poinsettia is the most widely tested
consumer plant on the market today,
proving the myth about the popular
holiday plant to be false:
History and Legend
Poinsettia Care Tips
Toxicity Myth
By Doug Hackbarth
Broadview Florist & Greenhouses
Provided by:
Society of American Florists
1601 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 836-8700
With the permission from the Society
of American Florist, Association, I
again give you the proof you need
to feel safe from the rumors that
insist poinsettias are poisonous…
they are not poisonous.
 Scientific research from The
Ohio State University has
proved the poinsettia to be
non-toxic to both humans and pets.
All parts of the plant were tested,
including the leaves and sap.
 According to POISINDEX, the
National information center for
poison control centers, a child
would have to ingest 500-600
leaves in order to exceed the
experimental doses that found no
 A study from the Children’s
Hospital in Pittsburgh and Carnegie
Mellon University found that out of
22,793 reported poinsettia
exposures there was essentially no
toxicity significance of any kind.
The study used national data
collected by the American
Association of Poison Control
 As with any non-food product,
however, the poinsettia is not
meant to be eaten and can cause
varying degrees of discomfort;
therefore, the plant should be kept
out of the reach of children and pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment